The Boston Marathon - A Unity of People

6:30 am on Tremont Street in the Boston Common

Loading on buses for an hour ride to the starting line.

Athletes Village, our holding area before heading to the starting line. About a 2 hour wait.

Selfie, about to check my gear on the bus, before heading to starting corral.


This was how my day began along with thousands of others. 

Anticipation, nerves, excitement.

A mile walk, shoulder to shoulder to the starting corral - a tent set up on the side of the road, my guess by the neighbors on the block, FREE STUFF - sunscreen, glide, vaseline, kleenex, markers to write your name on yourself (for the people to shout it out along the race). The beginning of our journey.

A feeling of relief when I crossed the starting line. Once we were running, the streets were lined with people. I remember thinking I'm running in Massachusetts, so this is what people in Massachusetts look like. 

They look like you and me. 

The cheering was so unbelievably loud. So much enthusiasm. Everyone lined up for all these runners. Celebrating the day.

A string band playing on the side of the road. Everyday people holding out an orange slice in the palm of their hand. So this is what people do to be a part of this glorious event.

Wellesley girls with their signs: Kiss Me I'm Tall, Kiss Me I'm a Senior, Kiss Me I'm from SoCal, Kiss Me I'm a Democrat, Kiss Me I Like Sweaty Men. . . So this is what it looks like at Wellesley.

Seeing my family in the crowd at mile 17 - still don't know how we spotted each other! So this is what they look like cheering with strangers cheering in Massachusetts.

Boston college. . . crazy fun college kids. . . So yes, I remember what it looks like to be a college student.

People cheering the whole way on both sides of the street - 26.2 mile long tunnel of people sharing the excitement of the day. . .

I crossed the finish line about 30 minutes before I heard the explosion. I was on my way to the family meeting area to find my family. Thousands of people around us had no idea what was going on 2 blocks away.

I consider me and my family very lucky. My heart goes out to those who died and are injured. It is truly unbelievable that this horrific act to hurt others was planned.

I watch the news and interviews and see everyone helping each other and say, this is what good people look like, strangers, family, friends — in celebration and in tragedy.

We are a strong, united community, miles long and miles thick of good people.



No comments:

Post a Comment