Dialing Back

Coming off a disappointing run at the Boston Marathon, sick with a horrible cough, my first thoughts were that maybe I didn't train hard enough. So when I recovered, I was all set to kick it up a notch, until my high hamstring decided to do the same thing.



(So that's three things on Danny Dreyer's blog Eight Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Run list:
1. Not warming up and starting off too fast
2. Thinking you have to go faster than you should
3. Running too many days in a row
4. Running too far on new terrain
5. Running through non-productive pain or injury
6. Incorrect fueling and/or dehydration
7. Wrong shoes
8. Being too serious)

I had to see my chiropractor, who I love - a runner herself - so she could fix me up lickity-split. Thought I would go in, get taped, get some stretches, etc. 

But wouldn't you know it. She detected an irregular heart beat.

I have to say, I'm not messing around with this heart stuff. Especially after doing lots of reading on how marathon training/running can stress your heart (googling md stuff can scare the bejezus out of you). 

And as my mom lovingly reminds me, I'm no spring chicken.

On a positive note, I did have an EKG last November and everything was fine. I, myself, was feeling this irregular beat before I would fall asleep. My doctor said it was mostly likely stress, dehydration, too much coffee. Ok, fine, that's manageable.



But until I get a second opinion, I've dialed it way back. Walking Dexter and running slow and low miles. I'm keeping a positive outlook that everything is normal, nothing to worry about.



We had a long, restful weekend, got out early one morning and went to my "happy trail" to walk the dog.





No comments:

Post a Comment